For all media inquiries or to book a speaker, please contact:
Mike Otterman, Communications Officer
Phone: +1 212 575 2605
- Event: Eugenia Carbone participates in Carabineros de Chile Conference
- Report: Latin American Network highlighted in International Conference on Genocide Prevention report
- Training: AIPR conducts inaugural Tanzania seminar on genocide and mass atrocity prevention
- Event: Tibi Galis offers advice and assistance at inaugural Global Action Against Mass Atrocity Crimes meeting
- Training: AIPR conducts training seminar for Costa Rican officials
- Event: Samantha Horn highlights Latin American Network in Geneva, Switzerland
- Event: Dr. James Waller delivers keynote at Understanding Atrocities conference in Calgary, Canada
- Event: Dr. Ashad Sentongo outlines challenges and solutions to crisis in South Sudan
- Profiles in Prevention: Masni Eriza
- Profiles in Prevention: Felistas Mushi
- Event: AIPR Founder and President Fred Schwartz receives 2013 Townsend Harris Medal
- Workshop: AIPR hosts Uganda workshop to assess mass atrocity prevention needs
- Profiles in Prevention: Cecilia Meirovich
- Event: Eugenia Carbone highlights genocide prevention in Colombia
- Profiles in Prevention: Luate Charles Wani
- Event: James Waller delivers lecture to West Point cadets
- Event: Galis chairs World Bank panel on intersection of development and mass atrocity prevention
- Feature: "Reconstructing Atrocity Prevention" authors meet in NYC
- Feature: Latin American Network recognized by UN Member States - Tibi Galis Chairs NYC Panel
- Feature: Tibi Galis delivers lecture at Diplomatic Academy of Peru
- Feature: Tibi Galis delivers keynote address for Carabiniers of Chile Human Rights Training Program
- Feature: Latin American Network for Genocide and Mass Atrocity Prevention highlighted by UN Secretary-General
- Feature: AIPR welcomes Mike Otterman as Communications Officer
- Feature: AIPR welcomes two new team members supporting the Latin American Network
- Feature: AIPR appoints two specialists to African Network Directorships
- Feature: Sixteen member countries participate in the first training seminar of the Latin American Network
- Feature: Special Advisor delivers keynote address at first training seminar for the Latin American Network for Genocide and Mass Atrocity Prevention in Auschwitz
- Feature: Paraguay's Museum of Memory held a screening of the Holocaust documentary, “El Retratista”
- Feature: Global Network of National R2P Focal Points meet in Ghana
- Feature: Experts meet in Tanzania to develop micro and macro genocide prevention strategies
- Feature: USAID holds consultation with civil society organizations regarding Atrocities Prevention Board
- Report: Auschwitz Institute releases summary of conference on mass atrocity prevention
- Feature: Auschwitz Institute creates World Bank community of practice on development and mass atrocity prevention
- Feature: Paraguay launches national mechanism for genocide prevention
- Feature: Commemoration of Rwandan genocide focuses on prevention of future atrocities
- Feature: Canadian forum focuses on organizing government to prevent genocide
- Event: Roundtable at World Bank to discuss development policy to prevent mass atrocities
- Feature: Central American ombudsmen agree to establish early warning system for genocide prevention
- Feature: States gather in Dar es Salaam to build constituency for atrocity prevention
- Press Release: New approaches to preventing genocide outlined at Cardozo Law conference
- Feature: Romeo Dallaire stresses rebuilding after atrocities as crucial to prevention of future crimes
- Press Release: Germany funds Lemkin Seminar alumni meeting in Arusha
- Feature: Auschwitz Institute awards Raphael Lemkin Prize to genocide scholar Barbara Harff
- Press Release: Auschwitz Institute signs agreement with African Union creating continent-wide network to prevent atrocity crimes
- Prevention and Protection Working Group Update: Auschwitz Institute signs letter urging Obama to continue prioritizing prevention of mass atrocities
- Feature: " Remembering to Look Forward: Auschwitz, Argentina, and Genocide Prevention in 2013 "
- Feature: " Auschwitz Institute Joins World Bank Global Forum on Law, Justice and Development "
- Video: " Interview with Laura Collins and Samantha Horn ," December 14, 2012. AIPR Lemkin Seminar Program Director Samantha Horn and Program Coordinator Laura Collins discuss AIPR's regional networks for genocide and mass atrocity prevention at the ICD Annual Conference on Cultural Diplomacy , Berlin, Germany
- Video: " Genocide Prevention as Peacebuilding: The Auschwitz Institute for Peace and Reconciliation ," December 14, 2012. Talk by AIPR Lemkin Seminar Program Director Samantha Horn and Program Coordinator Laura Collins at the ICD Annual Conference on Cultural Diplomacy , Berlin, Germany
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum: " Auschwitz in the context of the prevention of crimes of genocide "
- National Commission for the Fight Against Genocide (Rwanda): " The Raphael Lemkin Seminar for the Prevention of Genocide "
- Latin American Network Update: [bilingual, Spanish/English] 14 of 18 countries establish focal points ; work begun on curriculum for Lemkin Seminar Latin America ; national initiatives under way in 9 countries
- Nation of Change: "What Does It Mean to Prevent Genocide?" Op-ed by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- IJ Central: "What Does It Mean to Prevent Genocide?" Blog post by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- Feature: "Auschwitz Institute Featured in New Report on Global Efforts to Prevent Atrocities"
- Feature: "What Does It Mean to Prevent Genocide? Tibi Galis Speaks at Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs"
- Feature: "Auschwitz Institute Praises U.S. Creation of Atrocities Prevention Board"
- Press Release: "Auschwitz Institute President Receives Award for Raising Awareness of Genocide"
- Press Release: "Auschwitz Institute Launches Latin American Network for Genocide Prevention"
- Press Release: Auschwitz Institute sends thanks to UN genocide prevention adviser
- Press Release: "Auschwitz Institute Awards Genocide Prevention Prize to Prof. Deborah Lipstadt and Gen. Wesley Clark"
- United Nations Association of the UK: " Genocide Prevention: Lessons from Auschwitz "
- Event: Dr. James Waller , the Auschwitz Institute's Affiliated Scholar, has been invited by the US Holocaust Memorial Museum to speak at this year's Days of Remembrance luncheon, on April 19. The theme for 2012 is Choosing to Act: Stories of Rescue . Dr. Waller will comment on the involvement of ordinary people in the Holocaust, which is his area of expertise .
- Feature: "Ban Ki-moon Declares 2012 Year of Prevention"
- Feature: "Auschwitz Institute Chief Nonprofit Partner of U.S. Government in Preventing Genocide"
- University of Pittsburgh: " Seybolt Trains Diplomats on Genocide Prevention in Auschwitz "
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum: " At Auschwitz about Genocide "
- Press Release: "Auschwitz Institute Praises Obama Directive on Atrocity Prevention"
- Feature: "Lemkin Prize Laureate Carla Del Ponte Comments on Mladic Arrest"
- Press Release: "AIPR Signs Cooperation Agreement With Rutgers-Newark"
- Feature: "AIPR Director Tibi Galis Speaks on Genocide Prevention at UN"
- Press Release: AIPR signs funding agreement with German government for November 2011 Lemkin Seminar
- Huffington Post: "How Do We Upend the Roots of Genocide?" Profile of AIPR Executive Director Tibi Galis
- New York Times: "Reflecting on the Essence of Auschwitz" Letter to the Editor from AIPR founder and president Fred Schwartz
- Briefing: Preventing Genocide and Mass Atrocities: What More Can Be Done? Feb. 24, 1:30–2:30 p.m., 385 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC
- New York Times: " Auschwitz Shifts From Memorializing to Teaching " — Piotr Cywinski, director of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum, highlights the need for Auschwitz to be more than just a monument, a need AIPR is meeting with its Raphael Lemkin Seminars for Genocide Prevention, conducted on the death camp grounds.
- Feature: Violence continues on Ivory Coast; Lemkin alumni countries play diplomatic role
- Feature: U.S. Senate adopts historic bill on genocide prevention
- Conference: Submit papers or register now for " Truth, Memory, Justice, and Recovery ," the Ninth Biennial Conference of the International Association of Genocide Scholars, July 19–22, 2011, in Buenos Aires
- Read the latest issue of the Auschwitz Institute's e-newsletter
- AIPR in the News: " You cannot learn this anywhere else in the world " A report from the latest Raphael Lemkin Seminar, with officers from Fort Leavenworth's Command and General Staff College, focusing on the prevention of mass atrocities in military operations.
- Feature: " Argentina and Genocide Prevention Today " A conference on Argentina's experience with justice in the wake of gross violations of human rights, and lessons for the prevention of genocide today. Cohosted by AIPR, Oct. 7 and 8 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York.
- Democratic Voice of Burma: "Preventing genocide in Burma" Analysis by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- The Argentina Independent: "Constructing a Collective Memory in Argentina" Report from AIPR's April conference in Buenos Aires
- Read the latest issue of the AIPR e-newsletter, Genocide Prevention News
- Human Rights blog, Change.org: " Sierra Leone Scores Another One for the Peace Team "
- HELO magazine: Lemkin Seminar alumna Memunatu Pratt talks about transitional justice and peacebuilding in Sierra Leone
- Read the latest issue of the AIPR e-newsletter, Genocide Prevention News
- Foreign Policy Association: Executive Director Tibi Galis talks to the War Crimes blog about AIPR's upcoming genocide-prevention conference in Argentina
- Congratulations, Jim! AIPR Affiliated Scholar James Waller named Cohen Endowed Chair for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Keene State College in New Hampshire.
- Wednesday, March 10, at the Center for Jewish History, Lemkin Center instructor Sheri Rosenberg will be part of a panel discussion titled "Genocide and 'Responsibility to Protect': The Evolution of International Law."
- April 13 AIPR Affiliated Scholar James Waller will speak on "Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Mass Murder" as part of the 27th Annual Sonoma State University Holocaust and Genocide Lecture Series in Rohnert Park, CA.
- January 29: We sent out the first issue of our new newsletter, Genocide Prevention News . Enter your e-mail address on any page of our website to receive future issues.
- Reminder: Monday, February 1, from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at the Center for Jewish History, Diplomacy and Genocide: Challenges for the Future , a panel discussion inspired by the legacy of Raphael Lemkin. Cosponsored by AIPR.
- Also on February 1: AIPR Affiliated Scholar James Waller delivers a talk at Greensboro College , NC, on "Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Genocide and Mass Killing."
- AIPR Affiliated Scholar James Waller will speak on "Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Mass Murder" at the Third Annual Powell & Heller Family Conference on Holocaust Education , March 18–20, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA.
- Ethics on the Air: Listen to Executive Director Tibi Galis discuss AIPR's innovative approach to genocide prevention on WBAI 99.5 FM. Recorded Jan. 22, 2010.
- Press Release: " Genocide Prevention: On the Air & On the Ground " AIPR moves on with its mission into 2010
- Get your ticket now! Diplomacy and Genocide: Challenges for the Future — February 1, 2010, from 6:30 to 8 p.m., the Center for Jewish History presents a panel discussion inspired by the legacy of Raphael Lemkin. Cosponsored by AIPR.
- Foreign Policy: " Never Again? What the Holocaust can't teach us about modern-day genocide " Andrew Stroehlein of the International Crisis Group writes about AIPR's latest Raphael Lemkin Seminar for Genocide Prevention
- War and Peace blog, Change.org: " Send Your Government Officials to Auschwitz (To Learn How Best to Prevent War Crimes) "
- The Daily Tell: Interview with Tibi Galis and Alex Zucker of the Auschwitz Institute for Peace and Reconciliation
- The Daily Tell: " Auschwitz Institute for Peace and Reconciliation strives to stop genocide " Article by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- Jewish Image: " Preventing Genocide " Article by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- Press Release: German government allocates funds for developing countries to take part in upcoming Lemkin Seminar
- The East African: Letter to the Editor by AIPR Communications Officer Alex Zucker
- Press Release: Congo-DRC fundraising campaign
- Dr. James Waller named AIPR Affiliated Scholar
Twenty-five years ago this month, the U.S. Senate ratified the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide. Last month, the United States was significantly involved in efforts to prevent potential mass violence around the referendum in South Sudan. But how effective has that proven, and just how well is the U.S. government equipped to help prevent genocide and mass atrocities today? What new tools are available and effective in averting mass atrocities? What tools are lacking?
RSVPs & Questions: Mary Stata, Prevention and Protection Working Group, (202) 903-2512, firstname.lastname@example.org